International Students (F visa or J visa holders):
1. How studying abroad will affect your status at UCI:
- All International Students participating on any program abroad and returning to UCI will need to get a Travel Signature from the International Center.
- International Students considering any of the below study abroad options must make an appointment at the International Center. Do this before committing to a study abroad program.
- Participating on IOP during the academic year.
- Participating on any program abroad your final quarter as a UCI student.
- Participating on IOP after graduating and planning to do Optional Practical Training (OPT)
2. Your eligibility to study abroad:
- Once you choose a specific study abroad program you are advised to ask the program if you are eligible based on your citizenship and U.S. visa status. If you choose a UCEAP program, contact the Program Advisor for your chosen program. All others (e.g. IOP or UC Summer) inquire with the program’s contact.
You may want to use this sample inquiry:
I am an International Student at UC Irvine with a F1 visa [or J1 visa]. My passport is from [your country]. Am I eligible to apply for [program name]?